Vivid lights are our favourite part of the Winter festival! The light show spreads across the city – from the Sydney Opera House area to Darling Harbour and beyond, across the Sydney Harbour Bridge and to the North Sydney areas, and it even spreads over to Taronga Zoo. On a clear night, the lights can be seen from over 6km away from high areas in Sydney.
After 10 years of lighting up the city, Vivid Sydney was confirmed to be the biggest festival of lights in the world with 2.4 million people attending in 2019 and each year thereafter, increasing further.
6 INTERESTING BEHIND THE SCENES VIVID FACTS
- Inspiration for the creation of this festival struck, after one of the creators, Anthony Bastic, saw beautiful, illuminated buildings in London.
- It takes 5.2km of network cable to light up the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the city.
- It takes 6 weeks to set up for the festival, with the Sydney Harbour Bridge display solely taking 3 weeks to set up. Planning and creating the artworks takes 11+ months.
- Each year Destination NSW receive over 200 artist applications.
- Approximately 800 volunteers are engaged to make this event possible.
- Since 2019, the festival has been 100% green power.
TOP WAYS TO EXPLORE THE VIVID LIGHTS
Walk & Explore – If you are a keen walker and explorer, you can walk along the 8.5km Vivid Light Walk, following the light displays through Circular Quay, The Rocks, Walsh Bay, Barangaroo and Darling Harbour. Get up close and personal with the sculptures, take photos and interact with the artworks. If you need a break, you can always stop at one of the many restaurants or bars along the way.
Cruise & Relax – If you prefer a more relaxed atmosphere to see the lights, with fewer crowds and physical activity, then viewing the Vivid lights from a boat is a great option. The view from the water is glamourous, as the water glistens, and the building lights shine and sparkle. It’s a great way to see the Vivid lights without the busyness of the city, and cruising on a smaller vessel allows you to cruise close to the shoreline, offering some picturesque Instagram-able shots of the Vivid displays.
Sea Sydney Harbour offers cruising experiences for a range of budgets including ticketed and private hire options. Cruises run throughout the festival on Kirralee, Heaven and Fleetwing II. All experiences are great for corporate and team gatherings, or to simply share a sparkling night out with your family and friends. Start or end your night out with a Vivid Sydney Harbour Cruise!
Vivid Sydney 2023 runs from Friday 26th May through to Saturday 17th June 2023. Secure your ticket on board and experience Vivid Sydney from the water – this is not a boat you want to miss!
#seasydneyharbour #onaboat #sydney #sydneyharbour #vivid #vividsydney #vividsydneycruises #allthingsnautical